Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pieces Of My Memories


After passing my high school with three distinctions at No (1) BEHS, I got a job as a tutorial teacher in Myitkyina city, the northern part of Myanmar(Burma). Normally all my students were high school students but some were not. Some of my students in my sections would know me as a very terrible and forceful teacher. Sometimes I hit them with a stick as a punishment if they did not study the lessons properly or talked in the study time.

Did I have a choice for the punishment? Of course, I did have. But, I wished them to pass their exam. I wished them to do their tasks properly. I really did not like to hit others especially those who were still very young. Honestly, I did not have any intention or desire to hurt them. But I wanted my students to pass the exam and realize that studying for the exams was not easy. Of course, all my students were very sensitive and gentle but they needed to be forced.

As a tutorial teacher, I often discouraged to go to those sections every day because I did not want to push my students to do against their will. But it was my task to make sure that all my students would pass their final exams.

During those days, I encountered most of my students who needed encouragement and support especially from their parents and family members. They hungered care and attention at the right time with the right manners. I supposed to help their lessons alone but most of the time, I solved their emotional conflicts. I always prepared for my students who had just quarreled with their parents. I helped them to soften their temper by making open conversations with them as a big brother and made them see their parents' concern.

Honestly, I would not fix their lives nor change their future but I helped them to pass their exams. It was my goal and intention even though I hit them with a stick or I argued them with strong words which would hurt their feeling. I expected that they would not like me after all, but I was very happy to know that they passed their exams.